Sunday, December 30, 2007

Excursion Into Philosophy: Santa Fe

The night we stayed in Amarillo was loud and long. Adam and I made an attempt at sleep, but with the party still going on it was too hard. The house was a mess and pornography was strategically place by one of the kids, Gabe, who had an entire magazine cut up and scattered through the house (clocks, frames, jacket pockets, mayonnaise jars, etc.). With all this commotion Adam and I decided to rough it out and sleep in the van. Somebody had to because all of our gear was in there, and I didn’t trust these kids for anything.
I woke up at about 8 AM to the discomfort of my own freezing. My and Adam’s breath had fogged on the windows and froze on the inside. It was probably ten degrees outside tops and my feet felt like icicles. I had to pee something fierce, and there was no way I was going to leave the van. I looked at Adam. Out like a light. I looked at a half empty Vitamin Water bottle. I looked back at Adam.
“Here we go,” I said to myself, my hot breath visible inside the van. I opened the van door and spilled the remaining Vitamin Water and noticed that my shoe was on the ground, frozen, and had been there the entire night. I took the shoe, closed the door and started to refill the Vitamin Water bottle while Adam slept next to me. The most difficult part was having to stop after I filled it up, empty it, then refill. I tried to go back to sleep but it was just to cold. I devised a plan on how to get to the door with a frozen shoe and no socks. I couldn’t stay in the van, it was painfully cold. I put my knit cap around my foot as a sock and wearing one shoe, hopped to the door.
Inside everybody was fast asleep. The other six guys were passed out in the living room. Kelsey was asleep in Sarah’s room. Sarah was MIA. I took advantage of the serenity and took a shower. When I was done my alarm was going off, which woke up everybody. I had set it for 9 AM, so that we could get an early start and beat any snowy weather. We packed the van and dropped Kelsey off at her house.

Driving from the Texas panhandle into New Mexico like watching a flat wasteland turn explode into a mountainous landscape of mesas, plateaus. The change in terrain is rapid and subtle. I sat up front, which was fun because I got to play DJ. We listened to Daft Punk, Jawbreaker, the soundtrack to Angus, Belle & Sebastian and Meneguar. We stopped at Cline’s Corners, which is located at the intersection of I-40 and 285 which leads to Santa Fe. Imagine a huge travel stop filled with knick knacks, Native American paraphernalia, wolf t shirts, New Mexico souvenirs and cheap toys of all kinds.

From that point on mountains and adobe houses emerged steadily, until we finally reached Sante Fe, a beautiful city made of clay. We were all starving. I had been to Santa Fe several times in my youth and kept a vague memory of a restaurant in or around the Santa Fe plaza that my family would always eat at. Upon recalling this to my band mates it was unanimously decided that we would eat at this nameless restaurant which existed in a hazy childhood memory. It wasn’t till we actually got to the plaza that I realized everyone was following me as if I were leading them anywhere. I called my mother and asked her if she knew the name of it, but she didn’t. In the square there was a tourist information center, where Daniel found a restaurant a couple of blocks away that had cheap burritos. We made our way through the chilly streets of Santa Fe, crowded with yuppies and tourists. We were all bundled up when we went inside Bumblebee Bee Baja Burritos. It was pretty okay burrito fair, but we were all famished. I finally went “number two” for the first time on tour, which I think was building up because I went three times that day.

It was time to start heading to the venue, Meg’s House as we knew it. I called a number I had on my computer and talked to a voice named Matt who gave me directions from the plaza.
The house wasn’t hard to find. It was in a neighborhood of small adobe houses. We were met inside my Chris, Matt, and Meg who lived there. They were really nice kids about our age and were preparing a vegan potluck for the show. If only we had known, we wouldn’t have eaten lunch. The fare included homemade New Mexican green chili. I jokingly asked Chris why the house wasn’t decked out with Kokapelli, terra cotta suns and dried chili peppers. “Cause we actually live here,” answered Chris.

The show was a little weird. The kids in Santa Fe seemed a little unenthused. There were a ton of people there crammed in a tiny basement. Our hosts were some of the best house show organizers that I had met. I got a chance to talk with all of them, and they were all very genuine people, and they made delicious food.

After the show we were really tired. The party was still going on so I asked Chris if we could stay in the basement. He told me that we shouldn’t because in Santa Fe radon rises from the ground and can cause cancer. The upstairs room was way to fool, and Tyler was about to sleep in the van, so I double checked with Matt who said it was probably no big deal for one night, which was good enough for me if it meant Tyler didn’t have to sleep in the van. It was supposed to get down to 5 degrees that night. So Baggins, Tyler, Jesse and I slept in the basement.
As I went to sleep that night I reflected on how wonderful the trip had already been in just three days, and how happy I was to be going on tour with these eight guys. The anticipation of the next two weeks filled me with excitement.

TCK/KK Tour - Day 3 (Santa Fe, NM) from Jesse Spurlin on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

andrew! glad to hear you guys are alive, de-frosted, and well! i love the cd, listened to it all the way from TX to GA on my drive. tour tour tour. we'll talk more.